Monday, April 13, 2009

I'm My Own Worst Enemy

Pink is right. Most often, we are our own worst enemies. We expect others to respect us, but do we respect ourselves? Today I'm talking about respect for your skin. Skin is the body's largest organ. It is our protection from the brute forces of nature and man. However, it is greatly mistreated and overlooked. I am not innocent. I take my skin for granted all the time. So here are a few tips that I will be following this summer to repay my skin for being so good to me.
  • Use sunblock DAILY, reapply if you are out in the sun for more than a few hours.
  • Buy foundation with a built in UV shield factor of 15 or higher.
  • Remember your skin's best friend is water. Drink plenty of it or your skin will suffer.
  • Steer clear of tanning beds.
  • Do not smoke! The carcinogens in those cancer sticks will not only kill you, but make you age significantly faster while you are on your way out.
  • Moisturize morning and night.
  • Wash your makeup off before bed. I'm so guilty of not doing this. Makeup, dirt and oil will collect on your pillow, creating a lasting bacteria playground for you to sleep on.
  • Wash pillows, towels and linens regularly. Weekly, is recommended.
  • Wear a hat outdoors. Preferably, a wide brimmed one. Straw cowgirl hats are both functional and stylish!
  • Throw out old makeup and face products. Check the normal shelf lives of cosmetics here:


Oil-Free Foundation: 1 year
Cream or Compact Foundation: 18 months
Concealer: 12-18 months
Powder: 2 years
Blush and Bronzer: 2 years
Cream Blush: 12-18 months
Powder Eye shadow: 2 years Cream Eye shadow: 12-18 months
Eyeliner: 2 years
Liquid eyeliner: 3-6 months
Mascara: 3 months
Lipstick: 2 years
Lip liner: 2 years
Lip gloss: 18-24 months
Nail Color: 1 year

*Products without preservatives need to be discarded sooner.

Be good to your skin and it will be good to you!

Live Glamorously~ Kadi

3 comments:

  1. these are great tips, thanks kadi!

    trisha

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, I'm pretty bad at putting on sunblock :/ I always put it all over my kids and just on my face but need to remember my arms, legs, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice blog and great tips!!! Love those retro pics of you!!

    ReplyDelete